Timber Frame House For Sale
Timber Frame & Straw Bale House For Sale
‘Strawtron’ is a two story timber frame and straw bale house with about 450 sq. ft. of heated indoor space. The home is fully finished. It’s a fantastic space for either a single person, a couple, or a small family. The house is spacious, heavily insulated and comfortable, flooded with excellent natural light, and full of artistic touches. It’s mostly made of natural materials, including local timber and straw bales, and clay and lime finish plasters. It is a true labor of love.
A handmade spiral staircase, reclaimed wood floors, north porch and west balcony are some of the notable features. With a professionally engineered and designed timber frame and straw bale walls, the house is built like a tank and designed to stand for many years, while providing the utmost comfort throughout the seasons. The home is fully wired for electricity (including an outlet for an electric cook stove), and a small wood stove provides heat for winter.
The traditional timber frame, with all wood joinery and heavy members qualifies the building for a higher fire rating (higher than post and beam with metal fasteners, and even steel I-beams). This building is built to last hundreds of years, not mere decades. Please see the list of features below to learn more about the construction of Strawtron. Other included improvements include an 8 x 12 tool shed with a firewood storage awning.
Timber Frame House Features
- 450 square feet of interior heated space
- 168 sq. ft. enclosed north porch
- 168 sq. ft. attic space
- 78 sq. ft. west-facing balcony accessible from upstairs bedroom
- Professionally designed and engineered timber frame (hardwood frame with all wood joinery)
- Fully wrapped with straw bale wall insulation (approx. r-35, a.k.a. “r-enough”)
- Fully wired for electricity, including electric cook stove outlet
- Concrete pier foundation (professionally engineered for weight loads)
- Living roof with 7″ of polyiso roof insulation (approx. r-45)
- 20″ of cellulose insulation under the floor (r-70)
- Morso 1410 wood stove for heat
- Passive solar orientation
- Designed for south greenhouse attachment
- Hand-built wooden spiral staircase
- Roof can be outfitted with gutter system and rain catchment
- Reclaimed wood floors throughout entire house
- Finish clay plaster interior
- Finish lime plaster exterior
- 1″ white oak siding on north porch and storage loft
- Handmade insulated loft doors (2)
- 100% natural wood sealers (Land Ark)
- 99% built with hand tools and human power
- Includes an 8×12 tool shed with loft, cedar siding, reclaimed wood floors, 6×12 east awning for extended storage/firewood – can be converted to guest house if desired
- Leasehold size is approx. 4500 sq. ft.
We are asking
$75k $62k for the home. If you are interested in visiting Dancing Rabbit to pursue a purchase or to learn more about the community, visit this page to learn more!
(And no, the house cannot be moved.)