What an incredibly arduous past two days, but oh the excitement! Yesterday I made a mad dash to transport twelve new black locust poles for my roof to my building site, and then I spent the entire afternoon (and into the evening) stripping bark. My body was aching, to be sure.
This morning I finished stripping the last of the twelve poles. At 8:00 a.m., I began dis-assembling the original reciprocal roof frame with the help of Tony, Tamar, Mark, Apple, and Arrien. It was easy work – much easier than putting the thing together. We jammed the charlie stick (the support post) back under the first rafter, and worked backwards to slide each rafter out. It went quickly and smoothly.
Then we re-positioned Charlie and started lifting the newer (and much beefier!) black locust rafters into position, tying them together with wire at the top as we went along. They were a little slippery, and slid around a little bit once they were in position, but they couldn’t go too far with the wire at the top and some wire around the butts at the wall.
By the time we were ready for the last rafter, the inner ring of the frame was already tight, and we pried the last rafter in with a bit of leverage at the butt end. They slid right into place and the roof was done. We took out the charlie stick and the roof stayed put – it didn’t drop at all since the construction was already so tight.
Overall, it went great. The new rafters are much stronger than the old ones and I am very satisfied with the integrity of the structure.
I plan on writing at length about this process in the near future. In the meantime, enjoy these few pictures!